PRIVLAKA

History and cultural heritage

In written documents, Privlaka is mentioned for the first time in 1296 as a wine-growing place.

For generations, it has been tied to the sea, sailing and fishing. The name of the town has changed numerous times throughout the centuries: Brevilaqua, Privilacha, Priulacha… until it got the name that we know today. The famous Privlaka sabunjars are people who became well-known for their hard work of excavating sand out from the sea.

Cultivated fields and pristine nature have preserved one of the oldest Christian monuments. Significant are the remnants of the Church of St. Kate from the 14th century. The Church of St. Vitus, the patron saint of apothecaries, dancers and actors, was created in the 14th century and has been entirely preserved. Even today, mass is held there in June on the day of the patron saint. One can view also the parish church of the Birth of the Blessed Virgin Mary from the 19th century, which is deemed one of the most beautiful examples of classicist architecture in Dalmatia, and the Church of St. Barbara built during the Homeland War. Visit also the St. Nicholas Chapel consecrated to the Privlaka sailors and seafarers. The chapel was renovated for the first time in 1976 and once again in 2017.

Apart from the sacral monuments, the Privlaka wells have also been preserved. They were a source of water and a well of life. They witnessed the burdensome farmer and fishing lives of the inhabitants, listened to their stories and kept their love secret. Nowadays, there are still 12 such wells preserved. The most famous among them is the Sokolar well that goes along with a legend of unhappy love.

Stay Safe Croatia How to enter Croatia Logo